Local Churches

St Barnabas Church

Penboyr School is in the Parish of Penboyr.

There are five churches within the group:  St. Llawddog, Penboyr and St. Barnabas, Felindre in the Parish of Penboyr and St. Celer, Llangeler, Capel Mair, Bancyffordd, and St.James Rhos in the Parish of Llangeler.

History of St Barnabas and St Llawddog

St Barnabas Church

St Barnabas Church was built in 1863 on land given by Earl Cawdor and at his expense.

The architect was Mr David Brandon from London. The builder was Mr James Rogers from Tenby. The church cost £2000 to build.

The church is dedicated to St Barnabas because the Earl of Cawdor’s birthday fell on the same day as St Barnabas.

To learn more about the history of St Barnabas Church see “Llannau’r Filltir Sgwâr” project which the children of Penboyr School have produced.

St Llawddog Church

St. Llawddog Church is built on an ancient site, which may well date back to the sixth century.

It was extensively rebuilt at the time of the Napoleonic wars by the generosity of the then Rector, Archdeacon Thomas Beynon. Beynon was in the group around Iolo Morgan was responsible for the development of the modern eisteddfodic tradition. The church is shortly to begin repair and maintenance work.